Books on Islam in China
By: Wang Daiyu
Here is a list of some books related to Islam in China and or Muslims in China. Please feel free to suggest books if something is not in this list.
- Atwill, David G., The Chinese sultanate: Islam, ethnicity, and the Panthay Rebellion in southwest China, 1856-1873 (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2005)
- Ben-Dor Benite, Zvi, The dao of Muhammad : a cultural history of Muslims in late imperial China (Cambridge: Published by the Harvard University Asia Center ; dist. by Harvard University Press, 2005)
- Dillon, Michael, China’s Muslim Hui community: migration, settlement and sects ( Richmond, Surrey: Curzon, 1999)
- Gladney, Dru C., Muslim Chinese: ethnic nationalism in the Peopleâ€™s Republic (Cambridge: Council on East Asian Studies, Harvard University: dist. by Harvard University Press, 2nd ed. 1996)
- Israeli, Raphael, with the assistance of Lyn Gorman, Islam in China: a critical bibliography (Westport: Greenwood Press, 1994)
- Israeli, Raphael, The cross battles the crescent: one century of missionary work among Chinese Muslims (1850-1950), Modern Asian Studies 29, no. 1 (1995), 203-221.
- Jaschok, Maria, and Shui Jingjun, The history of women’s mosques in Chinese Islam: a mosque of their own (Richmond, Surrey: Curzon, 2000)
- The Legacy of Islam in China : an international symposium in memory of Joseph F. Fletcher, Harvard University, 14-16 April 1989 / sponsored by the John King Fairbank Center for Chinese Studies & the Andrew D. [sic] Mellon Foundation.
- Leslie, Donald, The integration of religious minorities in China: the case of Chinese Muslims (Canberra: Australian National University, 1998)
- Leslie, Donald, Islamic literature in Chinese, late Ming and early Ching: books, authors, and associates (Belconnen: Canberra College of Advanced Education, 1981)
- Lipman, Jonathan, Familiar strangers: a history of Muslims in Northwest China (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1997)
- Wang, Jianping, Concord and conflict : the Hui communities of Yunnan society in a historical perspective (Stockholm : Almqvist & Wiksell, 1996)
- Wang, Jianping, Glossary of Chinese Islamic terms (Richmond, Surrey: Curzon Press on behalf of Nordic Institute of Asian Studies, 2001)
- Xinjiang : China’s Muslim borderland, ed by S. Frederick Starr ( Armonk: M.E. Sharpe, 2004 )